About Breast MRI:
MRI performed outside of a hospital is a private service and is not reimbursed by Alberta Health. Breast MRI uses a special breast coil and dedicated breast software. This exam is a leading edge way to supplement existing breast imaging. Breast MRI is highly useful for finding and assessing breast pathology and for evaluating implants for the possibility of rupture. This procedure starts at $725.00.
What to Expect:
- Upon being checked in, a technologist will go over a safety questionnaire with you to determine whether you are a safe candidate for exposure to the MRI.
- Once we establish your eligibility for the exam, you will be given a gown to change into and taken into the MRI room.
- We will provide you with ear protection to soften the noise of the MRI machine as well as a special coil device to go around your chest.
- You will then be positioned on the scanning table and the area of interest will be centred in the magnetic tunnel.
- Your exam may also require contrast to provide us with optimal images. In that case, a technologist with insert and IV line into a vein in your hand or arm and inject the contrast material. You may feel a cooling sensation.
- This exam takes approximately 30 minutes. During this time the technologist can hear and see you.
- All MRI exams require you to be very still in order to take good images.
No special preparation is needed, although you may need to have an x-ray of your eyes if you’ve worked with metal grinders or welding in the past. If you suffer from claustrophobia, talk to your doctor about obtaining a mild sedative before coming for your exam