About Coronary CT Angiography:
This is a non-invasive imaging study that helps identify fat and calcium deposits that have accumulated in the coronary arteries. These deposits, called plaques, can lead to blockages which can cause chest pain, shortness of breath and/or heart attacks. CCTA not only detects calcium deposits but also the more important soft plaque, otherwise known as vulnerable plaque, which has been shown to be the more likely cause of heart attack and sudden death. This procedure costs $850.00.
What To Expect:
- The procedure begins by starting an IV in an arm vein through which the contrast agent is administered.
- You will be positioned on the CT scanner table, and during the injection may experience a brief warming sensation as the contrast enters the body.
- You may receive a medicine known as a beta blocker to slow your heart rate, as this allows for ideal imaging of the coronaries.
- The procedure generally lasts only minutes and the actual images are obtained in a few seconds.
- The IV is then removed and the patient can resume normal activities.
- Our radiologists then review, analyze and process the images; this includes analysis in 3D with specialized software. A detailed report is then sent to the referring physician.
CCTA when performed at Insight Medical Imaging includes 3D coronary images, calcium scoring, CT Cororonary Angiography and Functional analysis including ejection fraction.
- Do not consume any form of caffeine 12 hours prior to the study.
- No solid food four hours prior to the study.
- Adequate hydration is recommended including drinking two 8 ounce glasses of water an hour prior to the study.
- Take an oral beta blocker one to two hours prior to the study.