About Virtual Colonoscopy:
This study allows complete assessment of your colon with a minimally invasive procedure requiring no sedation. Unlike conventional Optical Colonoscopy (OC), there is essentially no risk for perforation of the colon or other complications with Virtual Colonoscopy (<0.0001%). As well, Virtual Colonoscopy does not require sedation, takes less than a quarter of the time to perform and is significantly more comfortable than OC.
Virtual Colonoscopy has recently been endorsed for Colon Cancer Screening by the American Cancer Society, the American College of Radiology and the U.S. Multi-Society Task Force on Colorectal Cancer. This procedure costs $650.00.
What To Expect:
- Before your exam, we will provide you with your free custom preparation kit. This is available for pick-up at Meadowlark Diagnostic Imaging. Out-of-town patients will be mailed this kit. It should be in your possession at least 3 days before your exam.
- This kit contains everything you will need to cleanse your colon over a period of 2 days. This includes food, liquids, laxatives, as well as detailed instructions.
- Similar to OC, a bowel emptying diet and laxative regimen is required to clear the colon of all solid material.
- At the time of the exam, the colon is gently inflated with harmless carbon dioxide gas. This provides superior comfort and exam quality over manual inflation. Inflation is essential for complete colon assessment.
- The actual exam is performed with you lying on your back and then on your stomach to ensure complete visualization of the colon.
- A minimal amount of radiation is used for this exam to keep your radiation exposure limited (theoretical increased lifetime chance of cancer of 0.1%).
Meadowlark Diagnostic Imaging has everything you need for the bowel emptying preparation. It is available for pick-up at our clinic once your appointment is booked. Detailed instructions are included to ensure optimal and successful bowel cleansing. Please pick up your kit at least 3 days in advance of your exam.